Professor (research leader)
Research Institute for Interdisciplinary Science (RIIS), Okayama University
- Mathematics, Physics or Structural Biology
- Expatriate with excellent English language skills (no Japanese requirement)
- Five years initial appointment; potential for full professorship
The Research Institute for Interdisciplinary Science (RIIS) at Okayama University is currently seeking an outstanding researcher at professor level to help drive world-class research achievements in one of the following areas: mathematics, physics and structural biology. RIIS was established at Okayama in April 2016 for the purpose of fostering development of leading scientists in the above research areas.
Current RIIS research projects include:
- Neutrino physics using laser spectroscopy
- Elucidation of the structures and mechanisms of natural photosynthetic systems and their application to artificial photosynthesis
- Design and synthesis of superconducting materials with a high superconducting critical temperature and new functional materials for future electronic devices
- Elucidation of the properties of soft matter and energy storage materials using theoretical approaches.
Employing an interdisciplinary approach involving close and extensive collaboration among the above areas, RIIS aims to produce new functional materials and devices that will benefit energy-producing and energy-saving industries.
The successful candidate for this position will be required to establish an independent research group and to contribute significantly to one of the above projects or related research areas.
This position is full time, and the initial term will be five years; however, depending on the quality of research achievements, there is potential for it to become a full professorship (retirement at age 65). More detailed terms and conditions are available separately, upon request. RIIS will also guarantee availability of an assistant professor who will collaborate with the successful applicant.
An applicant for this position must be a citizen of a country other than Japan. English language proficiency is a key criterion for consideration (Japanese language skills are not requisite).
This position is available immediately. Once a decision has been made, this offer will be closed.
Supporting documents (in English only) required for application:
- Curriculum vitae (CV), including evidence of skills/proficiency in English language
- Statement of research interest and achievements (3 pages)
- List of publications, grants, teaching experience, visions/outlines/plans for future research (3 pages)
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
All documents should be submitted by 26th September 2016, using the following website: http://bit.ly/RIISprof
After your submission, please send Mr. Yasushi Katsube of the RIIS staff (email@example.com) an e-mail on that you applied to this position and submitted the documents.